Capturing a transaction is the process through which payments are registered and secured once the transaction has been authorized. The authorization is therefore a necessary prerequisite. The transaction can then be fully or only partially captured.
Furthermore, the capture can be triggered automatically or manually. This setting can be done in the old interface.
Here is how to do it:
- Choose an account in the account selector of the navigation bar.
- Open the “Integration” menu.
- Click on “Payment procedure”.
- Select a procedure amongst the three listed:
- Automatic data capture,
- On-demand data capture,
- Delayed data capture at X days.
Automatic data capture:
The HiPay Console automatically carries out capture requests every hour (through a notification sent to HiPay’s Order API). You don’t need to do anything. When this procedure is launched, the CAPTURE button is not available on the interface.
On-demand data capture:
You can manually capture each transaction within the 7-day limit after authorization with the CAPTURE button of the HiPay Console.
After this time limit, the authorization can be canceled by the issuer, which would then release the funds of the customer. In that case, the transaction expires and you won’t be able to capture it.
You can also automate the process by sending us the capture through a server-to-server request.
Delayed data capture at X days:
The HiPay Console automatically captures transactions after a maximum of 7 days.
However, you can also manually capture or cancel transactions within this time period.
Manually capturing a transaction
When manually capturing a transaction, you can choose to do a full or partial capture.
Here are some reasons why you might want to partially capture an order.
- You want to capture payments upon order shipping.
- One of the items is “unavailable” and the customer doesn’t want to wait for all their order items to be restocked.
- The customer made a mistake or wants to modify their order and now only wants part of their order.
- After shipping, when the customer returns unwanted items of an order, you only capture payment for the kept items.
Please note that you cannot capture more than the authorized amount.
Customers cannot add items to an order being processed. A new order must be placed to add more.
To manually capture a single payment, please proceed as follows.
- Open the transaction information sheet.
- Click on the CAPTURE button in the ORDER section.
- Modify, or not, the amount filled in by default.
- Click on the CONFIRM button.
When clicking on the CONFIRM button, a snackbar confirms the capture request (it can still be canceled with the UNDO button of the snackbar) before sending it.
Once the capture has been made, the ORDER section changes and two new tabs are displayed.
It shows the order basket as it was authorized.
Please note that clicking on the “Order” KPI, all above the transaction, gives you direct access to this tab of the ORDER section.
Besides, the data linked to the authorization are displayed below the basket.
- CAPTURED tab
- the operation ID,
- the date of the capture operation,
- the capture amount,
- the capture author, who can be:
- either a user of your HiPay account with ACL rights to do a manual capture,
- or a secure API request in case of an automatic capture by API.
Manual captures made on the former interface are all tagged “Payment old interface” since this former version did not enable to directly save the author history on the interface.
Please note that clicking on the “Capture” KPI, all above the transaction, gives you direct access to this tab of the ORDER section.
Also note that in case of a PARTIAL CAPTURE, the CAPTURE button is available and displayed in the AUTHORIZED tab of the ORDER section.
Some payment means do not accept manual captures. Payments are immediately fully captured (for instance, this is the case with Alipay, WeChat Pay, etc.).
Article is closed for comments.